Saturday, March 21, 2020

Three! Three posts, ah-ah-ah!

We'll just ignore the gap of a whole day between this post and the last one. 

Today's recipe: Pork in Tangy Mustard Sauce

This sauce is an explosion of tangy deliciousness that you can put on pork chops or pork loin.  It tastes really expensive and fancy, so if you're trying to impress someone, I think this is a good recipe to pull out for company. 


  • 1 pork chop, thin center cut is my preference for pork chops because I can either have them as chops or cut them up for stirfry.  When I made this the other night, I actually used this pork I get from the local farmer's market that is labeled "shish-kabob pork", and it's basically pork loin cut into cubes. It's usually inexpensive and easy to portion out into one-person servings (about a handful of meat per packet).  
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 T apple cider vinegar
  • 1 - 1/2 T dijon mustard
  • 1-2 t (or so) honey
  • dried rosemary (careful with rosemary - it likes to show off and gets bitter if you add too much.  I didn't measure mine, but I'd say I used about half a teaspoon)
  • rubbed sage (again, I didn't measure, but I'd say no more than 1/4 tsp or it overpowers the sauce)
  • 1-2 small fresh mushrooms, sliced, or a can of sliced mushrooms.  
  • about 1T of butter
1. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, honey, rosemary, and sage.  You may want to use a whisk to make sure that the honey combines in fully.  

2. Pat dry pork chop or whatever pork you're using.  If you're using a thick cut of pork, pound it flat with a meat tenderizer so that it cooks quickly in the pan.  Salt and pepper both sides of the pork.

3. In a lightly oiled skillet, brown the pork on both sides over med-high heat.  Add butter and mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms have started to brown a little bit.  

4. Turn on your exhaust fan or open a window.  When you pour the sauce into the hot skillet, the vinegar's going to be pretty pungent and it might irritate your eyes and throat a little.  Let the sauce thicken, and cook everything together until the pork reaches at least 145 degrees.  It won't take long if you're using thin cuts of meat, so watch it.

This is a good one to serve with egg noodles, but I had mine with brown rice with a side of steamed broccoli.  


And there you have it. Let me know if you tried this one.  If you cooked this to impress your future spouse, be sure to invite me to the wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment