Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living - Meik Wiking

Before I get started: it's pronounced "Hoo-ga", and you can listen to the pronunciation here. (Incidentally, Forvo is an excellent free resource for language-learners.)  This does not stop me from reading "hygge" every time as rhyming with "pig", and I apologize to Denmark and all Danish speakers in advance.

So, what is hygge?  It's pretty hard to explain, as the word doesn't translate very cleanly into English, but - picture yourself in an overstuffed armchair, your warm beverage of choice within reach, a fireplace crackling and popping before you, the scent of baking bread in the air, a snowstorm swirling beyond the windows, and your favorite comfort-novel in your hand.  That's basically hygge.  You can hygge alone or with a small group of close friends.

The purpose of this book was to explore hygge and give tips about how to add hygge to your everyday life.  After all, if the Danish are frequently ranked #1 in happiness, there must be something to this hygge thing, right?

The book is fairly short, and the chapters are typically only a few pages long.  As I read it, I couldn't help but be reminded of the Marie Kondo books I'd read earlier, as both talk about how changes in one's environment can help change one's mood.  They also both emphasize mindfulness as one of the secrets of being happier.  I got the sense that, once you've gotten rid of your clutter using the Konmari method, you can start introducing some hygge to your life using Wiking's tips.

I would be doing a disservice to the idea of hygge if I tried to break it down into a simple list, but some of the things that Wiking mentions as important to hygge is: candles, food, companionship, and comforting surroundings.    If it weren't for the fact that I don't speak Danish (yet...) and that winter last about eight months up there, I think I'd move to Denmark just so I could be among like-minded individuals.

Fortunately, you don't have to move to Denmark, or make a lot of money, to add some hygge to your surroundings.  In fact, Wiking maintains that the more humble and simple something is, the greater its hygge factor.  A home-made knitted pair of socks is more hygge than cashmere socks, especially if you made them yourself and can fondly recall the experience of learning to turn a heel or cast-on when you wear them.  A humble but hearty beef stew with home-made crusty bread is far more hygge than a gourmet meal at an expensive restaurant, especially when made and shared with friends.  Hygge is about simple pleasures.

I can't say that I see hygge catching on in a widespread fashion here.  We're too addicted to our toys, our noise, and our pursuit of "the next big thing" to slow down and appreciate the simpler things in life.  It would pretty much require a complete cultural overhaul to have a chance of catching on around here.  But, you can at least make your "down-time" more refreshing and pleasurable by taking a few tips from this book.  For introverts, this is basically a how-to book for building the perfect nest, and they might be the ones to benefit most from reading this book.  As for me, well, if you need me, I'll be in my hyggekrog.

No comments:

Post a Comment